- Know where the emergency exits and fire alarm pull stations are in your building.
- Know at least two ways out of your building or off of your floor.
- Know where the stairs are.
- When you hear the fire alarm, evacuate! Do not assume it is a drill or false alarm.
- Check your evacuation route for smoke. If unsafe, take an alternate route.
- Notify Yale Police calling 203-432-4400, by using a blue campus phone, or calling 911. Give the location of the fire (building, room number).
- Sound fire alarm immediately (if not already sounding) by activating a pull station.
- If alarm fails to operate, warn nearby occupants by knocking on doors and shouting warnings.
- Immediately evacuate the building:
- Unless told otherwise by building announcements or emergency officials, go to your predetermined assembly location.*
- Begin to account for evacuated occupants; report any missing people to emergency officials as soon as possible.*
- Do not re-enter the building until emergency officials declare it safe.
- Note that trained individuals may attempt to use a portable fire extinguisher only after making emergency notification.
*Planning discussion necessary by your department, unit, college, or school