Hazardous Material Spill

Hazardous materials spills, major spills, or catastrophic lab accidents

  1. Notify Yale Police by calling 203-432-4400, by using a blue campus phone, or calling 911
  2. Provide the following information:
    • Location (building and room number)
    • Nature and extent of emergency
    • Your name and the number or location you are calling from
  3. Alert others nearby of the problem and safely leave the immediate area.
  4. Arrange to meet responders and discuss affected area, safe entry procedures, and any hazardous or unknown conditions. If not already contacted, notify Yale Environmental Health & Safety.
  5. Contact your supervisor, business/lead administrator, and/or principal investigator about the incident. Assist in cataloging impacts and recovery procedures.

*Planning discussion necessary by your department, unit, college, or school